With a hearty chicken & veggie soup
Did you overdo it a little over the holidays? Enjoy this cleansing, detoxifying soup full of anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and gut-healing ingredients including turmeric, ginger, garlic, cabbage, apple cider vinegar and broth. This recipe is an amalgamation of several favorite recipes I’ve collected over the years. Feel free to substitute your favorite veggies to make it your own. This soup is also perfect when you start to feel the sniffles coming on. May it bring you health and happiness!
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes COOK TIME: 25 Minutes
- • 6 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- • 1/2 of an organic red onion, diced
- • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- • 1 organic leek, white and green parts removed, sliced thin
- • 3 stalks of organic celery, sliced thin
- • 3 organic carrots, peeled and sliced thin (I used a mandolin)
- • 1 head of organic broccoli florets, trimmed to bite sized pieces
- • 1 cup of organic grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- • 1 TBSP fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- • 1 tsp powdered tumeric
- • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- • 1/4 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
- • 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- • 1 TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar
- • 1/4 cup organic purple cabbage, diced
- • 1/4 cup organic parsley
- • 2 organic chicken breasts, pre-cooked and diced into bite sized pieces
1) Heat 1/2 cup of the chicken or vegetable broth in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the red onion and garlic to the broth and sauté for 2 minutes.
2) Add the leeks, celery, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes and ginger to the pot and sauté for 3 minutes.
3) Add the remaining 5 1/2 cups of broth, turmeric, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar. Bring to a boil, then immediately reducd heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
4) Add the purple cabbage, parsley and pre-cooked chicken and simmer for two more minutes. Serve and enjoy.
Kara Galvin-Fischer is a health coach, yoga teacher and cancer survivor. Find her at NoPicklesPlease.com.